A Brief Summary of Our History:
Algood UMC has now begun its second century as a house of worship. The first church building was built in 1899 on land donated by Alfred and Henry Algood, sons of a pastor who was an early Methodist circuit rider.
In England in the late 1730’s John Wesley took the Gospel message of hope to people where ever he found them. His mission was to spread “Scriptural Holiness throughout the land.” His theology was of a practical nature. He taught the people that they were equal in the sight of God and pointed them to Christ for their salvation. Wesley encouraged small groups for study and prayer so that believers learned to be faithful followers of Jesus Christ. He encouraged prayer and worship and action in their communities to help those who lived in poverty to improve their education and health as well as to find faith in Christ. His ministry saw the power of the Holy Spirit as thousands came to know Christ in England and then the Methodist movement spread to the Colonies and became the Methodist Episcopal Church in 1784 in nation, the new United States of America.
Algood UMC was the first one built in Algood. Its location on Main Street made it a focal point for the community as a center of religious and community activities. In the early years other denominations were invited to use the building. Early expansion involved attaching a former school building to the back of the sanctuary. This became the Fellowship Hall. The architecture of this church is called “carpenter gothic,” a style widely used at the turn of the 19th century. It is reminiscent of the small stone Episcopal Churches used in rural England.
In 1909 a tornado did extensive damage to the building. The restoration included moving the tower to the right side of the building. A bell, still in use, and the stained glass window were installed following the restoration. The church building was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1979. The Perry Parker Education wing was added and dedicated 1983. An adjoining Family Life Center was built and added 2004.
Algood UMC celebrated its centennial year by several special events. Dr. Charles Vance Johnson, several former pastors and the choir led worship and enjoyed dinner on grounds for over 300 people. A centennial book was published, “The First 100 Years”.
Photos provided by Marshall Judd (Scanned by Paul Todd)